Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Waiting for the new albums...

Some time ago, actually in January 2007, I wrote this blog posting. In it I wondered if 2007 was going to be a great year for albums...

I listed my favourite 5 bands (according to last.fm) and noted that most of them were working on new material. So what's the update? Well, for one thing, the 'top five' order has changed since last year (but not the actual five), and here's the updates:
  1. Fish
    Fish released a rather good solo album last year. I reviewed it on the blog. This year seems to be mostly tied up with promo stuff for that album and another album is not on the cards for 2008.

  2. Queen
    The long awaited new 'Queen+Paul Rodgers' album is due out in September. The first track I've heard from it is adequate, but not great. However it is good enough for me to have high hopes. And I've bought tickets for the SECC show in October.

  3. Marillion
    The 2007 album ('Somewhere else') from Marillion was disappointing. I saw them live in concert and was disappointed. It sounded like an album that was just thrown out there because an album was due. Shame. But they're working on a new double album for release later this year, which will hopefully be good. But I'm not going to see the tour this time.

  4. Spacehog
    Still waiting for something from Arckid...

  5. Heart
    And I've just heard that Heart are recording a new studio album in 2008. This now jumps ahead of Queen+Paul Rodgers as my most anticipated album of the year!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:38 pm, Blogger Tim (Kalyr) said...

2008 will have to be a good year to match 2007. Three candidates for best album.

Panic Room:
Their album "Visionary Position" came out a few weeks ago, and is the first great album of the year so far. We've been waiting 3 years for this album, and it was worth the wait.

Mostly Autumn: Pre-order release of "Glass Shadows" ships this weekend. Preliminary reviews give the impression this is going to be a strong one, *much* more consistant and coherent than the patchy "Heart Full of Sky".

The Reasoning: Best new band of 2007, their second album "Dark Angel" is due in September, and if the rest is as good as the songs they played live this January, this is also going to be a good one. They'll be supporting Fish on some dates on his November tour.

 
At 6:30 am, Blogger Ricky Carvel said...

Thanks. I'll have to check those out.

I must say, I wasn't hugely impressed by 'Heart Full of Sky'. I listened to it a few times when it came out, but it wasn't in the same league as 'Passengers'. I'll borrow 'Glass Shadows' rather than buy it before hearing.

The Reasoning? I guess I'll hear them in November - well, if they're supporting Fish in Scotland, that is. Otherwise I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

And Panic Room sounds quite good too (on the basis of clips from their website), so I might invest in that one...

Cheers.

I forgot to say that my current favourite guitarist Nuno Bettencourt has reformed 'Extreme' with Gary Cherone. This may be something to look forward to, but I'm waiting to see. Nuno's solo career got better as time went on and included some fabulous stuff (track down the 'Population 1' stuff - well worth it), but Gary's solo career wend downhill very quickly. We'll see what happens sometime soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home