Monday, August 25, 2008

Man flu

I have man flu. OK, so its really just a cold, but 'man flu' sounds so much more entertaining.


Here are my top tips for how to fight 'man flu':
  1. Don't use those 'cold & flu' combined pain relief and decongestant remedies like Lemsip (well, don't use them during the day, a Lemsip at night is OK). Because what happens is one out of the pain relief or the decongestant runs out of effectiveness before the other and you end up having to wait a few hours before you can have another.
  2. Contac. I don't know if the rest of the world has this, but in the UK, these are the best. Slow release capsules of pseudoephadrine hydrochloride. Basically, its a decongestant that actually works for about 10 hours. Take one when you wake up and another about 10 or 11 hours later.
  3. Pain killers. Ibuprofen works best for me. Take as often as you're allowed to.
  4. Zinc. Someone told me about this a few years back and I was sceptical, but it seems to actually work. As soon as you feel the onset of a cold, start taking Zinc supplements. This boosts your immune system. It doesn't diminish the symptoms of a cold, but it does (appear to) shorten the duration of a cold. Since I've been taking Zinc during colds, I can only remember one cold that was bad for more than two days (sure, there's a few days of sniffling after that, but only two days of blocked noses and aches).
  5. Eat chili and drink orange juice. Just because.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:06 pm, Blogger Marcus Green said...

Vast outpouring of sympathy. Do you think you will survive?

 
At 3:50 pm, Blogger Ricky Carvel said...

It was touch and go for a bit there, but I'm out of intensive care now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home