Saturday, May 22, 2010

'Hood' by Stephen R Lawhead

I've just finished reading 'Hood' by Stephen R. Lawhead.

It was, erm, kind of OK.

I have had mixed experiences with Lawhead books. I loved the original Pendragon trilogy, loved 'The Paradise War', liked 'The Silver Hand', thought the resolution of the trilogy in 'The Endless Knot' was a bit 'meh', was really, really, really disappointed by 'Byzantium'. Thought the later two Pendragon books were quite good, and so on.

He is certainly a gifted story teller. Occasionally he is a great story writer.

In Hood we have great story telling. Shame the plot is sooooo slow. Nothing happens for chapters at a time. Indeed, the thing that I had expected to happen by about a third of the way into the book, only really happens at the end of the book. Or, in other words, this book is pure introduction from beginning to end. It is basically the setup for the rest of the trilogy or series or whatever it is. Luckily I have parts 2 and 3 sitting on my shelf, but a book that is all intro is irritating.

I will read the next one, but I have other things to read first.

Currently reading 'Under Heaven' by Guy Gavriel Kay. Which is great so far, but I'm only a few chapters in...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home