Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Torchwood: Episode 9 - 'Random Shoes'

Another odd one this, but I quite liked it. Clearly the writer has read Douglas Adams's 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency', but as every SF fan should have read that, this is OK.

Once again this episode focuses for the most part on one of the main characters, in this instance Gwen, although the story is told from the point of view of a deceased geek.

The plot slowly unfolded, revealing exactly what did happen in the run up to the death of the narrator. It was never truly gripping, but interesting enough to hold my attention.

My only real gripe about it is a personal one. In the story, Gwen goes to a talk at Aberystwyth University, where I was a member of staff for 4 years. Except that she doesn't - clearly the budget wasn't big enough to allow for the three hour drive from Cardiff to Aber, so the talk takes place in a big museum type place which I have certainly never seen in Aber. But apart from that, it was all fine.

7/10 - I might well watch this one again on a rerun someday.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the episode and was also a little disappointed that they didn't do any filming in Aber (I did an MSc there a couple of years ago). The museum definately wasn't in Aber and looks like the National Museum is Cardiff. I was looking forward to seeing some shots of the town, possible some establishing shots of the sea front and the ruins of the castle, and then finally was expecting them to have the meeting in the Old College building. But no. They couldn't be arsed leaving Cardiff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home