Thursday, November 29, 2007

Traffic jammed

I had a meeting to go to in Glasgow last night. I and my colleague Guillermo set out from work at just after 5pm, reaching the Edinburgh City Bypass (A720) at Straiton Junction just about 5.30pm. The meeting was a stone's throw from M8 Junction 16 and, even at that time of night, shouldn't have taken more than about an hour to get to.

It was slow on the bypass, but within about 15 minutes we were onto the M8. Here we hit the first queue. I know it often queues between Hermiston Gait and Junction 2 at that time of night, so I wasn't too bothered. However, the queue extended the whole way to Livingston at Junction 3. So we passed Livingston at about 6:15pm, knowing we'd be a bit late for the meeting, but not that concerned. Then we hit what turned out to be the big queue. From Junction 3A to the middle of the roadworks after Junction 5 (about 10 miles) took about an hour. My new car can tell you all sorts of information about your journey - as we passed Harthill I noticed that my average speed for the whole journey was only 17mph. At Kirk O' Shotts the traffic flow stopped altogether. For half an hour. Average speed for the trip reduced to 13mph.

About 10 cars ahead of us, two 'motorway maintenance' trucks blocked the road. It turned out they had been repairing a hole in the carriageway which had (obviously) been slowing the traffic down for hours. So, at ten to eight, we emerged from the queue onto a totally clear road, but there was no point in continuing to the meeting. We were still 25 minutes away from the venue and there was only about half an hour of meeting left. So we went home.


And as if that wasn't enough, my digibox failed to record Heroes on BBC3 last night (or rather it mysteriously stopped recording about 10 minutes into it), so I've a whole week to wait for the next episode. Bah!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go and have a look what the average car speed is in ad around London! You lot don't know you are born!
...failing to record Hereos, though, is the final straw :-)
Dave M

 
At 12:10 pm, Blogger Ricky Carvel said...

Yes, I know, but even the M25 (which I have some experience of - mostly the stretch between the M11 and Dartford of late) isn't actually as slow as that!

 
At 3:50 pm, Blogger Marcus Green said...

I'm with Dave. Heroes was great, by the way.

 
At 4:00 pm, Blogger Ricky Carvel said...

Heroes was great?

Well, that's a turn around. I thought the last two episodes (5 years in the future and the one after that) were both just filler episodes where nothing of any consequence really happens.

However, those two eps were the exception rather than the rule. Most of the series has been fab.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home