Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bee Movie

I took my 3 year old to see Bee Movie today. She watched the entire thing without laughing once.

Who is this film aimed at? The main character initially faces the issue of what to do after graduation - not something that most kids are interested in. Then he, essentially, has an affair with a woman who is clearly attached to another man - hardly appropriate behaviour in a kids film. Then he takes on 'big business' in the courtroom - um, not much for kids here either. Finally he saves the planet with the now-mandatory-in-kids-films eco-message.

The jokes are clean but most of them are there to produce wry smiles for the parents whilst flying several feet over the heads of the kids. It has the look and feel and lite-storyness of a kids film whilst actually being full of un-childlike things. But, of course, it can't deal with the adult ideas in an adult manner. So fails on both levels.

I don't think we'll bother getting the DVD when it comes out.

But is it wrong that I found myself attracted to Vanessa, the entirely CGI -but sexy- cartoon voiced by Renée Zellweger? I had much the same feeling about Mrs Incredible in the Incredibles. I get the feeling that these cartoons are made by dads, for dads. They seem to have forgotten to put the kids content into this one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home