Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My online life

My wife complained at me the other day that I spend too much time on the computer. I suppose I do, but then I thought about it. What are my hobbies?

Go back a decade or two and these were my hobbies:
  • Listening to music, making compilation tapes, etc.
  • Playing guitar
  • Photography
  • Playing with computers
  • Watching TV / movies
  • Canoeing
  • Reading news, etc.
Only one of those actually involved a computer. But what happened? Well, computers seem to have infiltrated most of my hobbies.
  • OK, so I don't use a computer to listen to music, I use an iPod. But I have to use the computer to get the music onto the iPod. I use the computer to buy the music. I use the computer to make compilation CDs or 'iMixes'.
  • Computers still aren't involved in playing guitar (except for the internet being a source of guitar TAB music), but I'm sure its only a matter of time.
  • All my photography these days is digital. So I use a computer to look at, play with and print out my photos.
  • Obviously, playing with computers still involves a computer.
  • I now rent DVDs via the internet and increasingly more TV programmes are available online, its only a matter of time before computers and TV become fused. Indeed, have a look at the newly upgraded Apple TV system - able to download 'rental' movies directly to your TV, this is the future, and its a computer (again).
  • You know, I can't think of any way a computer can become involved in canoeing...
  • And, of course, the greatest source of news is online.
  • Oh, and at work, I spend most of my time doing things on a computer. Even in the lab, everything is recorded and monitored using computers.
So there you have it, my life is increasingly online.

I wonder when we'll get to the stage that the computer is so ubiquitous that we won't actually use the word anymore?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it is no longer a place you sit and do all this stuff, and instead comes with you when you go to various other places. The fact that being physically stationary is associated with being inactive has some truth, as seeing different sights and changing location is supposedly proven to refresh and motivate you. Photo editing on the roof!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home