Monday, July 16, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...?

Only a few days left before the final Harry Potter book is unleashed. What will happen? How will JK resolve the story? Here are some of my predictions, guesses and fears:
  1. I really hope that Dumbledore remains dead. If he comes back to life he's just a Gandalf clone. If he advises from beyond the grave he's just an Obi Wan rip-off. Please let him remain dead. However, I give it 50:50 either way.
  2. Sirius Black is resurrected. I'm expecting this. Maybe the death of Dumbledore was a ruse concocted by Dumbledore and Snape so that Dumbledore could somehow bring Sirius back? Of course, if Sirius comes back from death there's no reason why Harry's parents can't come back too.
  3. One out of Harry, Ron & Hermione dies part way through the book. Personally I'd like it to be Harry, but I'm not sure. I don't think Harry will end up living happily ever after, but Ron & Hermione might. Unless his parents come back to life, dying is the only way Harry can be reunited with them.
  4. Ginny dies. Surely?
  5. Snape is a good guy after all. I'm still expecting this. Even though he killed Dumbledore in book 6, this was because he was either (a) constrained by the unbreakable oath or (b) doing exactly what Dumbledore wanted or (c) both. Snape ends up being head of Hogwarts? Oh, go on.
  6. Draco Malfoy rebels against his father and becomes a good guy. Draco couldn't kill Dumbledore, he's not all evil. Time for a bit of redemption.
  7. Voldemort doesn't die. He is stripped of his powers and forced to live as a pure muggle. He (of course) then commits a crime and is put in muggle prison...
Or I could be way off here. We'll see next week.

Please comment on these thoughts. If you want to comment after reading the book, please start your comments with a very obvious spoiler warning. I will add comments below after I have read the book - I will also include spoiler warnings. Cheers.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:58 am, Blogger Chris Hamer-Hodges said...

I definitely agree that there is more to be revealed in the Snape / Dumbeldore incident.

My own theory, is that Dumbeldore had to die (for some reason yet to be revealed) and so Snape was following Dumbeldore's wishes, and at the same time providing a "convincer" for the death-eaters that Snape is truly one of them.

In fact, that may be the sole reason Dumbeldore chose to die, to allow Snape to get close enough to the Dark Lord to accomplish some vital part of the mission that only an inside man could achieve.

I also think that Harry will have to lay down his life to accomplish the defeat of Voldemort, and that was why Dumbeldore chose to have him there as a silent witness, so when the time came he would be able to follow his example.

I suspect that it will turn out that Harry himself is one of the Horcruxes. That Lily Potter when she laid down her life for him, somehow forced the Horcrux transfer (that happens during a slaying) to take place into Harry. And that is the real reason why when Voldemort performed the slaying curse it rebounded on himself. So Dumbeldore was telling the truth when he said that it was Lily's sacrificial love that shielded him, just not the whole truth. This would also explain the ongoing connection between Harry and Voldemort.

So I predict Harry will have to destroy himself as the final Horcrux and it will be Neville (the one that the prophecy was really about) who deals the fatal blow to the dark Lord.

 
At 11:03 am, Blogger Ricky Carvel said...

Oooh. I like that theory Chris! Yes, I forgot about Neville - he certainly has more of a role to play than just killing Bellatrix.

But do Ron and Herminone get to live happily ever after?

We'll find out next week... (or in about 6 weeks time, given my rate of book reading these days)

 
At 6:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Voldie loses his power, doesn't he become a Magneto clone?

 
At 7:03 pm, Blogger Ricky Carvel said...

Drat! Hadn't thought of that.

But if he dies then he's just a [insert any bad guy who's ever died in a book here] clone, really.

But the more I think about it, the more I like Chris's idea (above). Now, if it turns out that Harry isn't a horcrux, I'll be disappointed...

 
At 9:32 am, Blogger Ricky Carvel said...

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

No, really. I've finished the book. Don't read on if you don't want to know what happens.


And so it ends. Looks like I was mostly wrong, except about Snape, although I didn't expect him to die in the end. And Chris was more or less right with everything. Except Neville at the end. Bravo Chris.

So where does this leave me? Reasonably satisfied. There were some comletely unnecessary bits of padding along the way - this could have been a much leaner book - but the final resolution was gripping, exciting and ticked all the right boxes. The death toll throughout the book was a lot lower than we'd been lead to believe, although it did ramp up quite ridiculously (and possibly unnecessarily) at the end.

I am disappointed in the lack of resolution or redemption in the Draco Malfoy story. Harry saved his life a couple of times, yet things basically continue with the same mutual loathing, even 19 years on I think. He remains a Slytherin, I suppose.

But I suppose that is the world of Harry Potter, there is no redemption. People do not change. If you start off bad you're always bad. Snape was never really a bad guy as he was always motivated by love - he just hid it.

It is a bit disappointing and even sad that that is the end. There won't be any more books to read about this world. We will never find out what happened to anyone else at Hogwarts, etc.

Farewell Harry Potter. RIP. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home