Monday, July 23, 2007

The oldies wanna rock...

Bryan Adams may still sing the song 'Kids Wanna Rock' but from my observations at his concert at Murrayfield (Edinburgh) on Saturday night, the kids were fairly ambivalent - having mostly been dragged along by their parents - it was the oldies who wanted to rock.

All ages were represented at the gig, the youngest I saw was about 2, the oldest was probably approaching 70. But the vast majority were (late) 30- and 40-somethings who can remember Bryan's heyday from the mid 80s to the mid 90s.

In keeping with the rest of this summer's outdoor gigs and festivals, it was raining on Saturday night - a light, but constant, drizzle accompanied the gig. We stayed back in the (covered) stand for the support act (more in a mo) and most of the main set, but (my nephew) Mark and I went down beside the 'b-stage' towards the end of the main set and stayed there for the encores. The second encore was played from the b-stage, so we were glad we did.

I believe Bryan has a new album out. I haven't heard it. In fact, I suspect that even though I saw him in concert, I still haven't heard more than maybe one song from it - I knew almost all of the songs he played. It was more-or-less a 'greatest hits' set. This was kind of expected and, of course, well received.

So, it rocked. Obviously, as expected, it slumped into mush in the middle of the main set with 'Have you ever really loved a woman' and 'Everything I do I do it for you' but picked up again after that with a stonking version of 'Summer of 69'.

For 'Baby when you're gone' he pulled an enthusiastic (and soaked through) girl from the crowd to duet with. It turned out that she was 'Helga' from South Africa (which got a grumble of boos from the Scottish crowd) and despite claiming to be able to sing, wasn't very good. At least she did know the words, but she didn't even attempt to sing the Mel C echo parts in the chorus - she just sang all the same parts as Bryan. Hey ho.

He also pulled several girls out of the audience to dance with him during 'She's only happy when she's dancing' in the final encore. Which was quite entertaining. Sadly, he ended the show with two solo acoustic songs including 'All for love' which is guff. But apart from that it was good show with Bryan and band on good form and playing a set which went past the two hour mark (if only by about 10 minutes).

I'll comment on the support band in a bit... please check back...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:29 pm, Blogger Tim (Kalyr) said...

I went to the beer tent during "Everything I do". Some things just have to be done :)

So what did you make of Mostly Autumn then?

 
At 8:50 pm, Blogger Ricky Carvel said...

Good. Possibly very good. But not an 'outdoors in the rain' band. Smaller, warmer venue, later at night would have been much better. But I'll post a full review when I get the chance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home