Friday, August 04, 2006

I don't know much about art...



Its one of those old cliches isn't it: "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like..."

Well yesterday, on a business trip to London, my colleague Pedro and I found ourselves on the south bank of the Thames with a couple of hours to kill, so we went to the Tate Modern. Pedro really wanted to see the 'Kandinsky: The Path to Abstraction' exhibition.

I really don't know much about art, but I find wandering round art galleries to be a reasonably pleasant and relaxing passtime so, despite the entrance fee, I went to the exhibition too.

I'd never heard of Kandinsky before - I'm not very cultured, y'know - but apparently he was a famous painter of abstract paintings. The exhibition, as you might guess from the title, more or less followed the evolution of Kandinsy's art from his early 'naturalistic' paintings, which are mostly landscapes, through the various styles he experimented with whilst trying to be more abstract.

Obviously Kandinsky is most famous for his abstract stuff but, to be honest, I was far more impressed by his earlier stuff - the paintings that actually looked like things and places. Having said that, one of my favourite paintings in the exhibition was "Dipinto con punte" (1919), which is below. I don't know if it actually is a picture of lots of animals, but I see animals everywhere in it. And I like animals.

One of the things that turned me off much of the art in the exhibition was the amount of white, light pink and light grey that Kandinski seemed to use. I don't know why, but I am drawn to darker art and find too much white quite off-putting, anyone care to psyco-analyse that? Another of my favourites was "Moscow, Red Square" which is above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home